If no one has told you this before, we are going to reveal that right away – sugar can hurt your weight loss goals more than fat! Candies, sweets, ice cream, chocolates, pastries, baked goodies, every food that is high in sugar can create a big hurdle in your weight loss journey. In fact, eliminating sugar can be a game-changer! Additionally, this important change can lower the risk of so many chronic diseases, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular issues to name a few. Research says we are consuming way more sugar than what experts consider is within normal limits – we love to add heaps to chai, coffee, have sugary treats and desserts to lower stress, calm jittery nerves, and fight boredom! Excess sugar leads to weight gain, there’s on doubt about it and it has become increasingly difficult to avoid sugar because it can be sneaked into everyday foods like bread, yogurt, salad dressing, ketchup, snacks, cereals, juices, health drinks, and in so many other ways. Wondering why it becomes extremely necessary to eliminate sugar from your diet? We list 7 ways in which sugar hurts your weight loss goals.
1. Sugar Raises Blood Sugar Sharply and Triggers Insulin Release: Sugar causes the blood sugar level to rise sharply which instead triggers a sharp insulin response. As we all know by know, insulin is not just a blood sugar regulating hormone, it also encourages storage by directing muscle and fat cells to convert excess glucose into fat and keep it stored for future. Ideally, you should avoid anything that would trigger a sharp insulin rise and sugar belongs to that category. Also read: “14 Foods that are Worse For Weight Loss Than White Sugar.”
2. Sugar Triggers Cravings: Do you know our brain actually rewards us for eating sugar by triggering the release of “feel-good” hormones such as dopamine. The more sugar you eat, higher the dopamine release, and stronger the cravings next time around to get a similar dopamine surge as previously.
3. Sugar Makes you Hungry Within a Short Period of Time: When you have a meal high in sugar, the pancreas release insulin to balance out blood sugar, a hormone which directs excess glucose to body cells. Once the blood glucose falls after insulin’s activity, you may experience a slump in energy and would feel hungry soon after in order to replenish energy in the body. The more sugar you consume, the more hungry you would feel soon after! The key is to eat a balanced diet with optimum amount of fiber, protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals to avoid a sharp jump in blood glucose.
4. It Causes Bloating: Do you know, the bad bacteria in the gut love sugary treats and thrive when there’s excess glucose in the body. When you consume excess sugar, it passes into the gut where it feeds the bad bacteria, side effects are buildup of gas and bloating to name a few.
5. High in Empty Calories: Sugar has a high amount of empty calories that are devoid of any nutrients. Too many empty calories get converted into fat by the body and packed up under the skin and around the organs for storage.
6. Causes Insulin Resistance: Among the multitude of undesirable effects that sugar can cause, it can make people insulin resistant. It’s no wonder that those with insulin resistance struggle with weight issues. With excess sugar consumption, body cells stop responding to the efforts of insulin and this behavior will trigger more insulin to be pumped out by the pancreas. As mentioned earlier, insulin encourages fat storage, and thus makes losing weight an uphill task.
7. Makes you Addicted To It: Research says sugar has a similar effect on the brain as drugs such as heroin, cocaine because it triggers the release of feel-good hormone dopamine, which would always send you seeking out for more sugar, and that’s why there are real chances of getting addicted to sugar.
Summing up, cut down on sugar consumption and eliminate added sugars completely. Natural sugars, like those found in fruits is an exception. Experts recommend switching to stevia to sweeten up chai and coffee. Avoid artificial sweeteners because they have been known to alter gut microbiome. Most importantly, if weight loss is on your mind, do check out the Rati Beauty diet plans on the Rati Beauty app where you can lose weight without crash dieting, by eating normal, simple, home-cooked food. Interested? Download the Rati Beauty app now.
14 Foods that are Worse For Weight Loss Than White Sugar
Eating These Simple Things Can Strike Down Cravings
The post 7 Ways Sugar Hurts your Weight Loss Goals appeared first on Makeupandbeauty.com.
Leave a Reply